Haven't written in a while. I was sick and out of commission. Well, I'm back in the saddle again and thinking about nasty old cops and robbers. For months the media has been whipping the police.
- Every time there is a conflict it is the law officer that started it.
- If any blood was spilled you can bet on a lawsuit coming.
In my extended community, Los Angeles and Orange County, California, about half of the altercations with suspected criminals, are linked by racism. The public is led to believe that suspects from minority races are the bad guys (always), and guilty or not, the suspect is to be handled with extreme caution. No rough stuff or there will be a lawsuit. At the end of the day police men and women are often faced with a situation that requires an instant decision. They have to decide how they can control and capture a reluctant, non-cooperative, and potentially violent suspect. The choice has to be immediate. If it is not, the police man or woman may be overwhelmed, or controlled by the suspect, wounded, or murdered.
In days gone by, children were taught that policemen and women were their friends. If they ever distressed and needed help they should go to them and explain their problem. Children were assured that anyone from the police (or fire department) were their friends.
Time and social stress has turned this long tradition on it;s head. Children are taught that the police are pigs.
- That as pigs they should be disobeyed with strong resistance.
- The pigs that give any kind of instructions should be ignored and spit upon.
Children grow up in households where all members of the family grind this attitude constantly. The result is not good. Many minority suspects, both guilty and innocent, are killed by the police simply because they didn't follow directions.
- Not to leave them out, so are majority (white) suspects physically harmed or killed. But here in So. California most of the physical altercations and use of deadly weapons is caused by black and Hispanic suspects.
How might this resistance and non-cooperation be at least, reduced?